[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.1b7 bug
 Date:  Sat, 15 May 2004 21:43:42 -0400
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 09:24:42AM +1000, Hilton Travis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have spent WAY too long trying to get a Dynalink RTA100 ADSL
> modem/router to do what it is supposed to, but the interface is worse to
> nevigate than IOS is for a blind person.
>
> And as I was doing this - getting frustrated at this POS unit - I found
> a bug (methinks) with m0n0wall 1.1b7.
>
> I managed to get the Dynalink POS to not act as a DHCP Server, and was
> going to assign a static IP to the m0n0wall that is protecting the
> internal network from this POS Dynalink unit.  Unfortunately, m0n0wall
> 1.1b7 cannot work with a "static" WAN connection if you need only a
> single IP - the maximum subnet is a /31, which isn't quite big enough -
> I needed a /32.  With the m0n0wall set to 192.168.1.254/31, it failed to
> communicate with the Dynalink POS that was set to 192.168.1.1/32.
>
> anyone else seen this, or a workaround?
>
> In the meantime, I had to leave the Dynalink POS running as a DHCP
> Server so the m0n0wall could obtain an IP vis dhcp.

This is rather odd.  From a purely layer 3 perspective, the only way that
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 can see each other as being on the same
network is with a /24 netmask.  It simply can't work any other way,
unless there is a point-to-point type of connection involved (ie, ppp or
pptp).

I think perhaps your dynalink pos is misleading you with their "/32"
mask.  Try using the /24 on your m0n0wall and see if that doesn't take
care of it.  :)

And also, an interface with a /32 is participating in a network of
exactly one host (actually, that would be the network, host, and
broadcast addresses all rolled into one).  I doubt this is really a bug
in m0n0wall in that case.

hope this helps, and good luck.

jim