[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dana Spiegel <dana at sociableDESIGN dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  Samenlia <fhliang at 163 dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to insert a image into the captive portal web page?
 Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 07:55:49 -0400
On May 18, 2004, at 2:09 AM, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> You can't put anything in /usr/local/captiveportal as mini_httpd for
> the captive portal has been modified to always execute index.php as a
> CGI, regardless of which file has been requested (this is necessary
> for transparent redirection). You need to put images on a separate
> server somewhere and then allow that IP address to be accessed in the
> captive portal config.
>
> - Manuel

I'm not sure this is strictly necessary. The http server can redirect
anything that doesn't exists, or is directed at another host.

So, if you try to access http://www.apple.com, it gets redirected to
index.php, since its targeting another host. Same is true for
http://192.168.1.1/test.php since it is targeting a page that doesn't
exists. But http://192.168.1.1/image.jpg, if it exists, should be
served.

I'm not sure if there is any other reason for your original decision,
but if its just a matter of transparent redirection, perhaps the above
algorithm would work better.

Director, NYCwireless
dana at nycwireless dot net
www.nycwireless.net