[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: [m0n0wall-dev] Web Proxy Service for m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 17:39:40 +0200
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

> [...]

Oh, that sounds very nice! I got the impression that in order to add a
module to m0n0wall, one would need to do some kind of re-compilation
or re-packaging of the m0n0wall binaries/image, something which I for
one isn't very comfortable with (not to mention the bother each time a
new version has to be "patched" in this way).

If a module can indeed be added through simple editing of the
config.xml (with which I'm very comfortable), I too would prefer the
proxy to be in a module. In fact, in that case, I'd even go as far as
to suggest that certain existing functionalities be put into modules,
such as the Captive Portal, Traffic Shaper, DynDNS support and any
other non-essential stuff (for a no-frills, puritan firewall, that is
- I personally find the Traffic Shaper very essential). This, of
course, only to the extent that said functionalities require a
non-trivial ammount of CF space or can otherwise be said to impinge on
the performance or security of m0n0wall in some way.

= = =

Talking about modules: Regardless of how easy it might be to add a
module to m0n0wall, I'd like to see a webGUI page for doing so. As I
understand that Manuel isn't very keen on the whole module idea, I
guess such a page would itself have to be a module, but then at least
one would only have to add one module by hand, which would then ease
the task of adding any additional modules. Perhaps it might even be
possible to store information about added modules in the config.xml,
such that these can be autmatically (re)installed after a firmware
upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to see a page in the webGUI that, much like the
firmware page, would obtain a list of available modules from the web,
present this to the user and allow him to select a number of these,
which would then be downloaded and installed automatically!

But perhaps all this, aside from being totally off-topic, is just
wishful thinking...?

Adam.