[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] how to insert a image into the captive portal web page?
 Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 11:51:27 -0700
> Yeah! Die, die... Ye puritan bastards ;)

I'm not a puritan but I share their pain and persecution!

> Seriously though: As have so often been pointed out: What is their
> problem, when this feature would a) be disabable (is that a word?) and
> b) not entail adding anything at all to the image?

Disabling it or enabling it in the first place would change the way the
intire webserver existing works, and would fundamentally change the way the
os drive is mounted and used... I don't think it's trivial like it would be
on a hard drive.

> > On one hand I understand the goal - hey let me upload some
> stuff -... but on
> > the other hand:
> >
> > - Making the CF file system writable shortens the life of it
> (or so we keep
> > getting told).
> >
> > - temporarily mounting as read write doesn't always revert to
> read only when
> > you want it too.
> >
> > - creating a separate read write partition for user data makes
> the cd size
> > requirements larger
> >
> > - allowing any kind of write creates security risks
> >
> > - writing to a / file system could corrupt it during power fail etc
> > resulting in a boat anchor until you reflash
> >
> > Just a FEW things against it...
>
> Well, to answer these issues together:
>
> - You would only need to write to the CF when uploading stuff, which
> would typically be a rare occurance (actually much more rare than,
> say, changing some setting in the webGUI!)

True, but how do you handle remounting the OS drive? Or do you change the
way mono has always been and make it rw mount the drive always? not sure
that's a good thing.

> - The idea was to let m0n0wall move the stuff to RAM during boot, just
> like I understand it is done with the php for the GUI and (I assume)
> the HTML for the captive portal. This way there would be NO read (or
> write) from (to) the CF at runtime.
>

> > But, maybe you could write an add in templating module, for those users
> > running the squid proxy and having a hard drive in their mono box?

Could I guess be handled in the same way as Manuel proposed to handle the
dhcpd leases file in the minibsd tutorial - ie. write to flash only during a
shutdown prior to a restart, but would still require changes to the existing
httpd which has been hardcoded to only from the mono index.php - I assume
there were specific reasons for this change, so you'd have to debate those
first ;-)

Beyond my knowlege of this system though

m/