[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP for WAN connection problems
 Date:  Wed, 19 May 2004 01:53:21 +0100
Hi there,

First things first: I'm new to m0n0wall.  I've been using Freesco
(www.freesco.org) for a few years now, so I think I'm fairly familiar with
how all the NAT rules work and so on, just need to get the hang of a new
syntax and interface.  Main reason for switching to m0n0wall was to get
proper QoS traffic shaping support as I start using VoIP more and more. It's
a nuisance to have to pause large downloads to make a phone call. ;-)

I've configured m0n0wall as (I think) it should be configured, two internal
networks - one wired, one wireless. There is no crossforwarding between them
at this stage.  In the future I will add VPN support to the WLAN network so
authenticated/encrypted clients can acess the wired side of the network.  I
am using a PPTP link to the ADSL modem (SpeedTouch 530), since the modem is
unreliable in DHCP spoof / PPP half bridge mode.  The PPTP link has worked
fine for many months under Freesco.  I have not yet enabled any VPN servers,
port forwards, or traffic shaping rules.

The problem: When using m0n0wall the WAN connection seems to die regularly,
usually after around 2 hours uptime.  Rebooting the machine clears the
problem immediately, at least for another couple of hours.  The machine is
not locking solid - I can still access the web interface, and strangely, the
firewall logs are still recording incoming (blocked) packets - the usual
range of NetBIOS attack attempts on port 135.  But any outgoing traffic will
get as far as the m0n0wall box, but no further.

I apologize if this has been covered before. Unfortunately all my "PPTP"
searches of the list archives wre mainly concerned with VPN servers, rather
than running a PPTP client to connect to an ADSL modem.

Thanks in advance folks.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: 070 10710715   ICQ: 13350579   MSN: minotauruk at hotmail dot com   AIM: