[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Maximum Number of VPN Tunnels with net4801 and vpn1411?
 Date:  Wed, 19 May 2004 18:08:56 +0200
It was a few weeks ago since I did my benchmarking, but I think I remember
that there where surprisingly small differences between the different
cryptos. I do know that both Blowfish and AES (Rijndael) are a lot faster in
software, but with hardware accelerators it doesn't seem to matter that much
at all. Single DES was a little faster and 3DES was slightly slower though,
but only in the number of a few Mbits.

One other thing to consider is that the PPTP daemon in m0n0wall does NOT use
the crypto framework and therefore doesn't benefit from the vpn1411. Using
128 bit encryption, a connection between WinXP and m0n0wall using PPTP
showed a bandwidth of ~10-14Mbit. If you need more exakt numbers I can see
if I can find them somewhere in the mess on my desk. :)

// Thomas Hertz