[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to insert a image into the captive portal web page?
 Date:  Wed, 19 May 2004 11:08:15 -0700
One of the most compelling arguments I've heard, and respect, for not
allowing image files (or other files to be served via http) was this:

    The config.xml file contains *everything* needed to get m0n0wall
running.

There's many things to like about m0n0wall, but this particular feature
often gets overlooked. As someone who now (unexpectedly!) manages several
boxes, this is a wonderful, wonderful feature. It makes backups simple. It
makes restores a breeze.  It makes 'firmware' upgrades practical. IMO, its
one of the best features of m0n0wall. (I also manage several boxes running
pebble, and I pray I never have to rebuild one of those... and I also dread
having to upgrade them)

I respect Manuel's desire for 'purity' with this particular design choice.

(Hmm, that said, is there some way of storing binary files in XML that isn't
too ugly as a little gif sure would be nice  ....   no, no, I didn't say
that!)

cheers, michael