[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ryan C. Creasey" <ryan at p11 dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Forwarding Broadcast Traffic (was Multicast)
 Date:  Thu, 20 May 2004 12:12:46 -0700
So am I able to forward the broadcast DHCP traffic from my virtual /24
to the external /28 if it's broadcast traffic?

- Ryan

Bubba Parker wrote:

 > DHCP sends broadcast packets to 255.255.255.255, it doesn't use
 > multicast.
 >
 > On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:13:59AM -0700, Ryan C. Creasey wrote:
 >
 >> Hello,
 >>
 >> I'm currently running m0n0wall pb18r522 at my office and have to say
I absolutely love it.  My soekris router's been up for 200+ days and I
haven't had to worry about a thing.  However, we're planning on doing a
bunch of upgrades on our other network hardware and I've got a few
questions about how well m0n0wall can keep up.

 >> Our network is setup in a very unique topology.  Our office has a
/28 subnet, and one address gets assigned to the soekris router.  All
clients behind the soekris router are then NAT'ed to the imaginary
192.168.1.0/24 subnet.  The other 13 addresses in the "external" /28 are
then assigned to various server-level systems (and lastly, our upstream
gateway is firewalled).

 >> If you're still with me, now imagine putting an Apple Xserve (My
clients are 90% macintosh... We're a creative design studio) with an
XRaid as an address on the /28.  I want to set the XServe up to
distribute Netboot to clients behind the soekris router.  In order to do
that, I've got to figure out a way to allow forwarding of multicast DHCP
traffic through the m0n0wall.  Is this even possible?  Does my version
of m0n0wall support this kind of thing?  If not, does one of the newer
versions?

 >> Any insight would be extremely appreciated.
 >>
 >> --
 >> Ryan C. Creasey
 >> Network Engineer
 >> p11creative