[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ryan C. Creasey" <ryan at p11 dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Forwarding Broadcast Traffic (was Multicast)
 Date:  Thu, 20 May 2004 14:33:35 -0700
Yes, this is actually the point.  While the clients are essentially
getting their initial network configuration from DHCP, they're getting
their actual os image from the Boot Server Discovery Protocol (BSDP)
which is an auxiliary DHCP-esque protocol executed after DHCP.  I was
hoping that there would be a way to break the broadcast down to permit this.

For example, clients on the /24 broadcast their BSDPDISCOVERY packets
and the (soekris) router simply forwards the egress traffic on to the
particular port the server resides on.  It would also keep the state of
the broadcast; so once the server recieves the discovery packet, and
replies to the external interface on the soekris (which in turn forwards
the ingress traffic to the particular client).

I suppose there is a much simplier solution, which is to simply give the
server an address from the /24 subnet, or perhaps give one of the two
interfaces on the Xserve on the /24 and the other on the external /28.

Ryan C. Creasey
Network Engineer
p11creative