[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "pmok" <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  "Matt McGuire" <mmcguire at o1 dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Stopping DoS attacks
 Date:  Sun, 23 May 2004 07:37:47 +1000
Its not a DoS...Its from those folks (Windows users) who still are
infected with either the Welchia virus (or related) and still don't
have a clue about it. (This is typically a significant amount of users
who are security illiterate...They weren't taught about basic network
security...And in all likelyhood have not patched their systems or
updated their AV solution.)

You can't really stop it, but to act defensive. Do what Chet Harvey
said, don't log it and drop it.

This is what ICMP is really used for...
http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Topics/81.htm

But of course, you can add "for virus spreading".
(Thanks to Welchia and similar)...

If you suffer from DoS or DDoS, you'll see that your connection will
be really really slow. (some firewalls are overwhelmed and just freeze up,
requiring a manual reset.)