[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Load Balancing ...... maybe this one
 Date:  Sat, 22 May 2004 20:18:59 -0500
> You'd better have lots of CPU available if you want to interpose a TCP
> proxy in series with every connection.

not every connection ... just connections from the outside to the inside
server pool in a round robin fashion

I tested one of these (pydirector not balance) last night with smtp
connection to 4 machines natted behind the pydirector machine. It was an
amd k6-2 350 machine with 256mb of memory and it sustained several
hundred connections per second withought a blush. pydirector doesn't act
as a proxy just a connection redirector.

> Not to mention being pretty useless without multiple WAN interfaces. :-)

Are you on crack ... why would load balancing be useless without
multiple wan interfaces? If your sole purpose for doing this was high
availability maybe but if your purpose were to tie 4-6 servers together
to manage load for a tcp service it is amazingly useful.

Tell you what just forget I mentioned this :-)

David