[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  "'Mitch (WebCob)'" <mitch at webcob dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dynamical Bandwidth Management.
 Date:  Tue, 25 May 2004 19:34:21 +0200
> When you say "per-ip basis" - can you clarify?
>
> Do you mean if my lan is /24, that each IP gets 1/256th of the available
> bandwidth?
>
> Or is it per active IP's?
>
> (which is I think what you meant).

Exactly. The dynamic rule creates a queue with the selected weight for each
of the matches from the mask.

> By further masking and separating traffic, I guess one could set
> priorities
> for traffic (email or voip for example) to always have a slice of traffic
> as
> well. Neat!
>
> Is this what you were talking about "packages based on content"?

Yes. This is a bit more complicated though. Currently it is not possible to
have "traffic" match more than one rule, but this can be circumvented by
unsetting net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass. I have a slight feeling that shaping more
than once using queues can have strange side effects though.

// Thomas Hertz