[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Thomas Hertz <term at cynisk dot net>
 Cc:  "'Mitch (WebCob)'" <mitch at webcob dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dynamical Bandwidth Management.
 Date:  Tue, 25 May 2004 20:29:33 +0200
Thomas Hertz wrote:

>>By further masking and separating traffic, I guess one could set
>>priorities
>>for traffic (email or voip for example) to always have a slice of traffic
>>as
>>well. Neat!
>>
>>Is this what you were talking about "packages based on content"?
>
> Yes. This is a bit more complicated though. Currently it is not possible to
> have "traffic" match more than one rule, but this can be circumvented by
> unsetting net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass. I have a slight feeling that shaping more
> than once using queues can have strange side effects though.
>
> // Thomas Hertz

Until such "multi-pass" shaping is implemented in the webGUI, I've
been told there is a sort of workaround, allowing something like
"two-pass" shaping. This is done simply by shaping on both the WAN and
the LAN interface! Thus you could do the per-IP shaping on the LAN
interface, and the per-protocol (port) shaping on the WAN interface!

Dunno if this will fit your respective bills though?

Adam.