[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dynamical Bandwidth Management.
 Date:  Tue, 25 May 2004 11:50:55 -0700
> Exactly. The dynamic rule creates a queue with the selected
> weight for each
> of the matches from the mask.

Just when I think I understand...

Sorry to be dense... So if I have a network with 15 computers, but I use a
subnet on the LAN of 10.1.1.0/24, then each computer would only get 1/256th
of the available bandwidth, leaving most of the available bandwidth unused?

So to work this system effectively I'd need to number my hosts from .2 up
and use the most restrictive subnet possible? Or lose available bandwidth?

In this case (with 15 computers) as we have a gateway, and network broadcast
address, the tightest subnet would be a /27, leaving us 30 available
hosts... and much wasted bandwidth - that doesn't sound very dynamic - or am
I completely missing the point?

Thanks!

m/