[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dynamical Bandwidth Management.
 Date:  Tue, 25 May 2004 21:15:58 +0200
Actually, the queue management works by distributing the bandwidth amongst
the queues based on their respective weight. Picture this scenario; eight
clients have been matched by the destionation mask (which in the m0n0wall is
fixed at 0xffffffff, all destinations are matched and therefore all clients
that even have an IP will get a queue of its own. This works regardless of
what subnet you have on you LAN or elsewhere.) So these eight computers each
have a queue with the weight of 1 each. In total that makes 1x8=8. So all
computers will get 1/8 of the available bandwidth. It is worth noting
however, that this only applies if ALL of these eight computers are actually
in NEED of more bandwidth. If 7 of the computers are idle, the 8:th computer
will get ALL the available bandwidth. But as soon as another computer tries
to use the net there will be 2 active and 6 idle computers, and the two
active computers will share ALL the bandwidth with 1/2 each.

I think this gets a little out of the list topic, so if you need further
help I suggest you direct it to me off the list =)