[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  ggoerisch at gmx dot net, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RADIUS Server
 Date:  Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:27 -0500
No! :-)

but not for the reason that you are thinking!

Radius is pretty complex but in general it gives you the ability to have
a central authentication mechenism for users from many different devices
in a network system.(hundreds of thousands of users perhaps)

That is really the reason that people requested radius here. The idea is
that you can have 20,50,500 m0n0wall captive portal/AP units all tied
back to a single radius server or group of radius servers so that you
can have all of your access points/network labs .. whatever all
authenticating from the same userbase.

What you ask does bring up a good point though.

Since ipf doesn't do mac based filtering it might be cool to use the
captive portal and user auth for allowing internet access through your
m0n0 AP. In this case in leau of a radius server it might be cool to be
able to have a couple of local user accounts that it can do system auth
against and allow access.

David Rodgers