[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] many problems with... - could somebody please clear this?
 Date:  Wed, 26 May 2004 12:34:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 May 2004, C. Falconer wrote:

> I thought the speedtouch (at least the old speedtouch home I used to have)
> had PPTP functionality.
>
> So that the external IP could be given to the NIC that the speedtouch is
> plugged into.

If by "external IP" you mean "WAN IP", then that's not how PPTP works in
this context.  The physical NIC needs a "local" IP in the same subnet as
the modem's "local" IP, and usually both are private network IPs.  This
provides IP connectivity to support the PPTP tunnel, which is then used
for a "virtual dialup" via PPP.  The WAN IP is assigned to the *virtual*
NIC, not the physical NIC.

Some PPTP-capable modems have a built-in DHCP server which can assign the
lower-level IPs automatically.  I'm not sure about the SpeedTouch, but in
any case m0n0wall doesn't appear to support this, so you need to configure
those IPs statically.  The factory default IP for the SpeedTouch is
10.0.0.138. I'm not sure whether the default netmask is /8 or /24, but in
any case (if nothing else is on that physical link) it should be safe to
pick a 10.0.0.x address for the m0n0wall side, where x is something other
than 0, 138, or 255.

					Fred Wright