[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  nicolas bussieres <nicolasb at altaspectra dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple ping problems
 Date:  Thu, 27 May 2004 18:50:52 +0200
On 27.05.2004 09:07 -0400, nicolas bussieres wrote:

>  have several pc's connected to a m0n0wall and we are using network
> management tools , but when 2 users on different pcs try to ping
> the same external ip address (216.109.117.205 , which is yahoo for
> exemple) , only one get get a responce , and it take a long while
> after he stops for the other to start pinging
>
> is there a solutions ?

No. That's because ICMP doesn't use port numbers, and as such when
the reply from 216.109.117.205 comes in, ipnat doesn't know which LAN
host to send it to. Some NAT implementations try to be clever about
this, but ipnat (which is used in m0n0wall) isn't. I don't think this
is a big restriction, though... There are no such problems with TCP
or UDP.

- Manuel