[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  "'M0n0Wall' list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ping of Death?
 Date:  Thu, 27 May 2004 20:22:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 27 May 2004, Phill R Kenoyer wrote:

> Here is another funny one.
>
> Every time my wife's iMac wakes up from sleep and connects to the
> wireless side of my m0n0wall AP I get a message in the log, "Ping of
> Death Detect".

Which log?

> Does anyone know what's going on?  Is it a bug in Mac OS X, or a
> feature?

Almost certainly a bug somewhere. :-) The "Ping of Death" was an exploit
for a fragment reassembly vulnerability in most TCP/IP
implementations.  This appeared around 8 years ago, so by now only the
most ancient systems should be vulnerable.

If you want to see what's triggering it, try to come up with some way to
capture the traffic.

The original "Ping o' Death Page" seems to survive here after 7+ years:

	http://www.ovb.ch/Ping/pod.html

This may be why my email address is on all the spam lists. :-)

					Fred Wright