[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil Schneider" <pacneil at linuxgeek dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] ipsec and windows
 Date:  Fri, 28 May 2004 11:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas Hertz said:
> Hello Nicolas,
>
> Theoretically, this should be possible by using a WINS server on each
> side
> of the tunnel. As of the current version of Samba, I don't think it is
> supported to let two Samba WINS servers exchange browse lists between
> each
> other, but using Windows servers should be possible. Windows SMB
> protocol
> that is used for "browsing" shares uses broadcasts, and broadcasts are
> not
> routable across subnets.

Exchanging browse lists between Samba servers acting as PDCs has been
supported for a long time. The options are:
        remote announce = 192.168.0.10
        remote browse sync = 192.168.0.10

If two samba servers on either side of the vpn have this configured,
and pointing to each other, then cross subnet browsing will work. I've
had it working for nearly 3 years for one of my clients. I don't know
the Windows equivelent if you're using NT/XP/W2K.

--
Neil Schneider                              pacneil_at_linuxgeek_dot_net
                                           http://www.paccomp.com

Fires can't be made with dead embers, nor can enthusiasm be stirred by
spiritless men. Enthusiasm in our daily work lightens effort and turns
even labor into pleasant tasks. --James Baldwin