[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] The MDP Initiative
 Date:  Fri, 28 May 2004 14:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 28 May 2004, Seth Rothenberg wrote:

> >> Or does that start to be bloat,
> >> excessive complexity, and totally
> >> unneeded?
> >
> > Some people are bound to think so. Thus I'd like to suggest a solution
> > that should prevent most, if not all, the "bloat":
> >
> > Couldn't such context-sensitive help consist mainly of externally
> > linked pages?
>
> The concern I have with that is, that assumes that
> we succeeded in setting up WAN and that WAN is working.
> If WAN went down and we were trying to configure
> the backup, help out on the WAN wouldn't help.

Yes, not to mention the unpredictable delays in accessing documentation
from outside sources.

It's unlikely that any platform used to host m0n0wall is too tight for
space to allow built-in documentation, as long as it's not part of the RAM
disk.  Even spinning up a CD to read a help page isn't that bad, and
reading it from CF is no problem at all.

					Fred Wright