[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anthony Brohan <rocketman411 at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] The MDP Initiative
 Date:  Sat, 29 May 2004 19:06:10 -0400
>Have you considered how poorly this scales with large numbers of m0n0walls
>deployed?  If you think this is a purely "academic" concern, check this
>out:
>
>	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/
>
>Not to mention how Murphy will insure that, just when you really need to
>access the documentation, the Internet will be under attack from the
>latest Windows worm. :-)
>
>Mac OS X was originally set up to have most of the help accessed over the
>net.  Apple got so much flak about this from users that later versions
>keep more of it on disk.  No reason to repeat the mistake.
>

>Unless you have fairly large amounts of RAM *and* are reasonably certain
>the "real" code won't need a lot, then documentation wouldn't be a very
>wise use of it.  If the filesystem buffer cache is sized dynamically, it
>would tend to handle this automatically, anyway.
>
>RAM utilization is *already* a major concern on embedded platforms like
>the Soekris, even without documentation added.  Note that every unused
>program in the image still occupies RAM, and every program that *is* used
>occupies RAM twice, once for the "file" and once for the "image".
>
>					Fred Wright

First off, the documentation cant be *that* big, I'd estimate around
500kb for it. And 500kb can easily fit in the RAM twice. This being the
documentation in raw text. This raw text documentation could help, ASCII
art could be used for the figures. If the documentation were to be
online, there would be no question that the site got flooded, and every
time you boot up your m0n0wall using PC-CDROM as many of us are it would
have to download again and again. I'm seeing '503 Bandwidth limit
exceeded' in the future. Also, a compresser could be used if the
compressor is small enough, to uncompress it if the need arised. RAM
utilization is a major issue, though with the amout of documentation
needed. and the size of it in raw test. There is no problem in my eyes.
Though if it still remains an issue, a 'Quick Start Guide to protecting
yourself' Could be added, and that wouldn't take up that much space. For
PPTP and IPSEC which require loads of documentation, they could be
located online through a clever linking inside m0n0wall.

Anthony Brohan