[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] The MDP Initiative
 Date:  Sat, 29 May 2004 16:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 29 May 2004, Anthony Brohan wrote:

> First off, the documentation cant be *that* big, I'd estimate around
> 500kb for it. And 500kb can easily fit in the RAM twice. This being the
> documentation in raw text. This raw text documentation could help, ASCII

I would expect it to be HTML, not plain text.  And I wouldn't want to put
"keep it small, it's taking up RAM" pressure on the writers.

> art could be used for the figures. If the documentation were to be
> online, there would be no question that the site got flooded, and every
> time you boot up your m0n0wall using PC-CDROM as many of us are it would
> have to download again and again. I'm seeing '503 Bandwidth limit

Only if you're keeping it in RAM.  Otherwise, it only gets
"loaded" (regardless of source) when you actually look at it.

Since CD is obviously the worst case, pick an existing CD with some HTML
documentation on it, and see if the performance of browsing it from the CD
is really so awful that you have to put it in RAM to speed it up.

					Fred Wright