[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall and cable
 Date:  Sat, 29 May 2004 19:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 29 May 2004, Anthony Brohan wrote:

> >If it's keyed to a MAC address, was it previously used with a different
> >one, so that you need to reset or power-cycle the modem to clear the
> >association, or perhaps even call the ISP and tell them the new address?
> >
> Most likely this is keyed to MAC adress, what you do is take your own,

Usually it is, but for a while keying it to a "host name" was
popular.  This actually makes some sense, since it ties it to a name
rather than a specific machine, but of course the way Microsoft
implemented it involved abusing a parameter meant for another purpose.

> or the one that your router/PC that you're using now to access the
> internet. Then, Under Interfaces: WAN put the MAC address of the
> machine/router that you are currently using into there. I've heard of
> MAC spoofers that claim 'Instead of changing IP, or to use a diffrent
> computer not being able to access the internet, spoof your MAC and
> you're set' There are many ways to find out what MAC you have.

I'd only spoof it as a last resort, though.  Why tell a lie when the truth
will suffice?  And why risk having problems later if you happen to connect
both machines to the same Ethernet?

> To find out your current IP address or your router's IP address easily
> use this :
> http://www.astalavista.com/index.php?section=dir&cmd=file&id=686 .

You don't need a special program.  Just run winipcfg.

					Fred Wright