[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Adrian Padilla <adrianp918 at majesticsoundsonline dot com>
 Cc:  Monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] possablities of m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 31 May 2004 03:36:50 +0200
Hi Adrian,

Some answers below:

> I see many installations that involve a antenna of some sort
>
> Q) will monowall work for wireless installations aswell?

Sure will, in fact many (if not most) m0n0wall users seem to use the
wireless support it has.

> Q) if the above question is a yes how far would the respective
> person have to be to utilize the wireless functions

The only thing necessary is wireless hardware supported by m0n0wall
(search the list archive for a link to the list of wireless NICs
supported by m0n0wall). m0n0wall will then autodetect that it is a
wireless card, once the interface has been assigned ;)

> Q) I also see people in the gallery do not have standard pc cases.
> how would one obtain one of these nifty cases, and would they be
> able to handle the demand of the network

There are several options. Basically m0n0wall will run on any PC
compatible box (using the "generic-pc" image) as well as a some
embedded PCs (from Soekris and Wrap). It might very well be one of the
latter you've seen in the gallery (check out www.soekris.com, and
scroll down on the main page to see their case. Both their net4501 and
net4801 boards are directly supported by m0n0wall, and there are
similar cases for both as well)

> Q) last question, I am using a 200 MHz pent 1 with 128 meg ram
> would that be sufficient for running m0n0wall

Yes, plenty! You can either use the "generic-cd" image (which is nice
for testing, because it does not touch the harddisk(s) at all, using
only CD and Floppy, but a bit slow when changing settings, due to the
config file being on floppy) or you can use the "generic-pc" image,
which you need to install on your harddisk (which will require some
fiddling, but the procedure is reasonably well documented on the web
site).

For the latter image type, I can recommed replacing your harddisk with
an IDE<=>CF converter, so you can use a CompactFlash card instead of
the harddisk (less noisy, less power consuming, and no moving parts
that can fail!)

> thank you for your anticipated responses

My pleasure. I'm sure m0n0wall will fulfill your needs and live op to
your expectations.

Regards,

Adam.