[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark AV - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] suggestion
 Date:  Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:57:19 +1000
Hi Uli,

I agree totally with your sentiments.  I personally think that a firewall
should be a firewall should be a firewall, but there are many people who
have a single box, and it needs to perform ancillary functionality, such as
caching, traffic graphing, traffic/bandwidth management and such.  If there
is a plugin interface, which there is, then it is up to the user which
plugins they choose to use.

I cannot see anything wrong with someone writing a traffic graphing plugin
that will log, store, and show traffic for individual internal IPs, or the
box as a whole.  I personally won't use it, nor do I need it.  Others may.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                        Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Manager,                             Mobile: +61 (0)419 792 394
Quark IT                             http://www.QuarkIT.com.au/
Quark AudioVisual                    http://www.QuarkAV.net/
(Brisbane, Australia)