[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Dennis Wallberg <dennis dot wallberg at bredband dot net>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0 - traffic_shaper
 Date:  Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:17:02 -0700
Dennis Wallberg wrote:

> I was not saying that inbound traffic shaping did not work just that it
> is not sane to use inbound shaping when you have a xDSL/cable I-net

> your inbound traffic unless you are ISP... limiting inbound traffic will
> not achieve anything unless you have control of the edge routers which

Unless... [wait for it]...

Your ISP charges you if your bandwidth usage goes above some
threshold.  For example, AT&T sells bandwidth in their co-lo center in
1 Mbps increments.  We're buying 2 Mbps in and out.  They keep a
sliding 5 minute accounting window, and if 95% of our traffic exceeds
2 Mbps during that 5 minutes, we get hit with a serious penalty.

Inbound shaping prevents that from happening.  We up our purchased
bandwidth (and the m0n0wall pipe size) when the customers get too
inconvenienced.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400