[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dennis Wallberg <dennis dot wallberg at bredband dot net>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0 - traffic_shaper
 Date:  Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:47:04 +0200
Chad R. Larson wrote:

>Dennis Wallberg wrote:
>

>>I was not saying that inbound traffic shaping did not work just that it
>>is not sane to use inbound shaping when you have a xDSL/cable I-net

>>your inbound traffic unless you are ISP... limiting inbound traffic will
>>not achieve anything unless you have control of the edge routers which

>Unless... [wait for it]...
>
>Your ISP charges you if your bandwidth usage goes above some
>threshold.  For example, AT&T sells bandwidth in their co-lo center in
>1 Mbps increments.  We're buying 2 Mbps in and out.  They keep a
>sliding 5 minute accounting window, and if 95% of our traffic exceeds
>2 Mbps during that 5 minutes, we get hit with a serious penalty.
>
>Inbound shaping prevents that from happening.  We up our purchased
>bandwidth (and the m0n0wall pipe size) when the customers get too
>inconvenienced.
>

>          -crl
>--
>Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad at eldocomp dot com
>   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
>      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
>        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228
>
>-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --
>
>This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and

OK Im with you.. but most home users with xDSL/Cable just want to
utilize the connection 100% and still be able to do some web-browsing
and mailing ;). This has been discussed since I first posted this and
people are saying that inbound shaping is acually working fine.. this I
persume has to do with how exaktly the shaper works, delaying ack's,
dropping packets with some RED algorithm or whatever. Peronally I have
not looked into this matter since Im happy with my outbound shaping and
dont want any loss of bandwith and/or extra delays =).

/Dennis