[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  John Black <youcannothitwhatyoucannotsee at hotmail dot com>, m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Soekris 4801 + m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:54:35 -0700
John Black wrote:

> I have a problem installing m0n0wall on a soekrisboard. I have a Soekris
> 4801 and a 32Mb Kingston CF.
>
> I have downloaded net48xx-1.0.img and flashed the image on the CF using
> physdiskwrite and a USB CF-writer.
>
> But, when i boot the Soekris, everything goes right up to:
>
> <cut>
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
> (root at nb dot neon1 dot net, Mon Jul 28 20:31:49 CEST 2003)
> /kernel text=0x198300 data=0x23d14+0x1c790 syms=[0x4+0x2a720+0x4+0x315fa]
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [kernel]...
>

> After that, no human readable output is visible. Only something like this:
>
> <cut>

> <cut>

The bit rate of the console interface just changed.  If you change the
rate on your terminal emulator at this point, you'll get readable
characters.

The better way is to use the BIOS commands to change the rate to match
the one FreeBSD is going to use.

While your Soekris is booting, right after it displays the PCI
mapping, it will say "Press Ctl-P for entering Monitor."  Do that.

At the BIOS prompt enter:
   set ConSpeed = 9600

and you should be good.

If you type "show", you will get a list of other environmemtal settings.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228