[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>, Jose Iadicicco <joseiadicicco at yahoo dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0 - traffic_shaper
 Date:  Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:50:02 +0800 (MYT)
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Adam Nellemann wrote:

> This is very intersting info Chad! Sounds like it should be quite
> possible to shape inbound traffic in a decent manner then (well, TCP
> packets anyway).

it _can_ if it wants to. :0

seriously, justin ellison's magic shaper rulesets do take advantage of
this window, at a cost of sacrificing about 10-15% of your download
bandwidth. let's assume that your isp gives you 1Mbps download, and you
set the incoming pipe bw to be 900Kbps. thus, as your downloads reach
900Kbps, the receiver will start throttling the sender using the tcp
window mechanism described above.

justin should be releasing his magic shaper soon, me thinks.