[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com>
 To:  <smoreton at clara dot co dot uk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on Dialup?
 Date:  Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:53:46 +0300

unfortunately not, as it stands.

m0n0wall is an Ethernet firewall, and as such it requires at least TWO Ethernet interfaces that is
has drivers for (check the FreeBSD site under 4.9 hardware for a list)

You will possibly face a similar thing when you get your DSL installed.
If you are not getting the ADSL "modem" from your ISP (which usually means a USB one), you need to
buy a device to convert the ADSL to Ethernet
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=89400 is one.

A suggestion for a workaround/solution, would be to setup the current PC using Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD
to work as a bridge.
Google on "ISDN Ethernet bridge " and add in one of the OS's to the search
This means you would need another PC to act as the m0n0wall.

bad ASCII art
|INet|--|ISDN    eth|--|eth    eth|--|Hub|--your LAN
------  |card   card|  |card  card|  +---+

HTH
mike