[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] suggestion
 Date:  Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:28:51 +1000
>From: Uli Wachowitz [mailto:uli at wach dash o dash witz dot de] Sent: Wednesday, 2 June
>2004 19:13
>To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
>Subject: Re: [m0n0wall] suggestion
>
>2004-06-02 18:45, Andrew Eglington wrote:
>
> > Network traffic logger that:
> > - given a start and end date will show the *total* amount of data >
>in/out.
>
>Please don't even think about adding such (doubtless nice) function. If you
>need something like that, use external tools. Same goes for the traffic
>graph (IMHO). You can do countless things with mrtg/mrtgfe and similar
>tools.
>
>My mantra was, is and will always be: "A firewall is a firewall is a
>firewall!"
>
>Nothing more, nothing less.
>
>And yes, I know, things like that have been discussed countless times
>before.

Oh I agree, and yes I know Hilton, so I know how strongly he feels the same.
To me a firewall is (as well as all previously stated mantras) a gateway
that is a) paranoid b) *incapable of self-harm*. c) minimalist.

Perhaps i should clarify what I meant:

Open up your m0n0wall web gui and point it at /status_interfaces.php
What I was suggesting was simply that the existing info:
  In/out packets 99458/129161 (28.21 MB/10.22 MB)

...Be amended to show a cumulative total also, not just a total since the
last reboot.
eg:
In/out packets 99458/129161 (28.21 MB/10.22 MB)
In/out since 2004.06.01 00:01hrs  xxx MB/ xxx MB

Preferably with a simple 'reset' button to reset the running total.
Maybe even a couple of colums showing in/out data totals for each
day/week/month based on a single configurable (or not) start date/time.
No logs, just a couple of numbers to update, and write to config.xml

I agree that a traffic graph imagemap would be excessive... though often
handy... but similarly: going to the trouble of finding suitable apps,
groking the mans, compiling, inserting... and then realising the logs have
to go *somehwere*, and that the program does heaps more than just produce a
couple of numeric totals... similarly all seeems a little excessive.
Considering the elegant simplicity of m0n0, crowbaring functionality like
this in seems a bit inappropriate. Never mind annoying for the average set
and forget user.

Actually, the more I consider m0n0's simple elegance the more I feel I'm
guilty of skirting the thin line of suggesting bloat features.... but I cant
help but feel it would be useful, and not detract from the design.

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline