[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce B. Lacey" <Bruce at BLacey dot com>
 To:  <michael dot she at binaryio dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall and uPNP
 Date:  Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:26:02 -0700
Michael,

Previous to m0n0wall, I was using a FreeBSD server with IPNat/IPFilter
for my firewall.  I installed the Linux UPnP internet gateway
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-igd using the version in the
FreeBSD ports.  It worked great but personally I no longer use UPnP
because it essentially allows apps to poke holes in your firewall on
demand; you should be able to accomplish what you need with the proper
stateful packet filter rules.  I know that many commercial home routers
implement UPnP so if you really need it, it is a breeze to install it
because it is available in the FreeBSD ports.  You just need to
understand the security risks...

Regards,
Bruce