[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Jay Custin <jpcustin at earthlink dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPPoE password encryption
 Date:  Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:12:25 +0200
On 04.06.2004 14:54 -0400, Jay Custin wrote:

> Just an idle question...
>
> Is there a reason the PPPoE password is NOT encrypted on the webGUI
> nor in the XML configuration file?  Just seems a bit odd.

MPD needs the password in plaintext form for CHAP authentication, and
therefore we cannot one-way-encrypt it (unlike the system password).
We could encrypt it somehow, of course, but anybody with a passing
understanding of PHP could just look at the m0n0wall source code and
figure out how it's done. I abhor security by obscurity, so I'd
rather have the password stored in plaintext in the config to make it
clear that it's something worth protecting than giving the user a
false impression of security.

Oh, and as for the reason why the webGUI input field is not defined
as a password field: I wanted to minimize a possible cause of failure
(mistyping the PPP password) without inconveniencing the user by
making him/her enter it twice (some DSL providers like to assign
excessively long passwords). It would protect against the "looking
over your shoulder" kind of prying eyes, but I felt that the benefits
outweigh that disadvantage.

- Manuel