[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark AV - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PPPoE password encryption
 Date:  Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:26:13 +1000
Hi Manuel,

If only there was a way in BSD (and Linux, for that matter) to have PPP
passwords stored and processed after encryption...  It seems that the
authors of the ppp apps don't agree.  Oh well, that's life.  :)

> Oh, and as for the reason why the webGUI input field is not
> defined as a password field: I wanted to minimize a possible
> cause of failure (mistyping the PPP password) without
> inconveniencing the user by making him/her enter it twice
> (some DSL providers like to assign excessively long
> passwords). It would protect against the "looking over your
> shoulder" kind of prying eyes, but I felt that the benefits
> outweigh that disadvantage.

If its in plaintext in the config, then plaintext in the WebGUI also makes
sense.  If it is shown as "***" in the WebGUI, then this could give people
the false sense of security that it is also encrypted in the config file -
which it isn't and cannot be.  I'd rather have it in plain text - easier to
confirm - as you suggested.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                        Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Manager,                             Mobile: +61 (0)419 792 394
Quark IT                             http://www.QuarkIT.com.au/
Quark AudioVisual                    http://www.QuarkAV.net/
(Brisbane, Australia)