[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  captive portal thru wet-11 strangeness
 Date:  Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:39:13 -0700
I hit my first strangeness with the captive portal today and am still
puzzling through what might be going on.  In brief, when I connect multiple
computers to a Wet-11 wireless to ethernet bridge, the captive portal blocks
them, but also doesn't display the page. I also get the log message:

Jun  6 10:08:24 m0n0-home /kernel: arp: 10.0.1.175 moved from
00:90:4b:b1:58:6b to 00:06:25:12:48:47 on wi0

where 00:90:4b:b1:8:6b is the MAC of the computer behind the Wet-11 and
00:06:25:12:48:47 is the Wet-11 itself. Not sure what this message means or
why it appears...

I haven't completely worked out the ins and outs of this, but disabling
captive portal makes everything work, and enabling it with the MAC
passthrough for each individual MAC (i.e. 00:90:4b:b1:8:6b in the example
above), seems to work, sort of. Its almost as if each computer added works
fine, until the next one is added, which then doesn't work, but can't
authenticate either.

More background info:  I have a wireless card in my m0n0wall and I'm trying
to setup a repeater, using the Wet-11 to bridge to another AP, and then
connect multiple computers wirelessly to that AP. However it doesn't appear
to matter that I have the AP there. I suspect if I plug multiple computers
into a hub behind the Wet-11 I'd get exactly the same behaviour though I
haven't verified this to be 100% sure.

Any clues or comments?

cheers, michael