[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  NON-wireless PCMCIA netcards, and replacing pccard.conf
 Date:  Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:22:34 -0400 (EDT)
i'm trying to get my PCMCIA netcards working with m0n0wall:  a megahertz
XJ10BT/BC (same as CC10BT) and/or a xircon PS-CE2-10.

ok, so i've seen the other posts in the archive regarding getting
NON-wireless PCMCIA netcards working.  i understand that the source of the
problem is that generic-pc-1.0.img includes only a very limited
pccard.conf, with only wireless cards listed.  i've also grabbed
http://dwaalspoor.org/pccard.conf (thank you M. G. (Michael) de Bruin) as
a first step.

my problem is that i can't figure out how to incorporate the pccard.conf
back into generic-pc-1.0.img (or at least into /dev/ad0a/mfsroot.gz), as i
do not have a netbsd machine at my disposal, nor the expertise to work
that kind of magic.  i did manage to remount /dev/ad01 as writable, and
copied the new pccard.conf permanently to the hard drive.  i also found
/cf/boot/loader.rc, and that it contains:

	load /kernel
	load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
	autoboot 0

however, according to loader.help, there doesn't seem to be a way to
pre-mount mfsroot before the autoboot and replace /etc/pccard.conf.

yes, i know all i have to do is upload the new pccard.conf into /etc using
exec.php, then restart pccardd.  however, these changes don't survive a
reboot, and in any case it doesn't help me at all because....

... i'm trying to get this working on a DEC multi (intel), which has one
built-in ethernet interface, and two pcmica slots.  yes, the built-in
ethernet is recognized, but since it is the ONLY interface recognized and
available, and since the console menu won't let me set LAN and WAN to the
same interace, i can't connect over the LAN using the webGUI.

so i'm stuck.  has anyone come up with a clever way to incorporate a new
pccard.conf (or any other file, for that matter) into generic-pc-1.0.img
(or mfsroot.gz)?  or, perhaps someone can provide me with a rebuilt image?
i can provide you with ftp access to push up such an image...

many thanks in advance,
jj