[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Automagically generated hostnames
 Date:  Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:17:57 +0200
Hello list,

I'm hopelessly(?) sucky at tinkering with PHP (yeah I know, I've said that
before) but I'd really like to see this feature. As it is now I run a little
script from exec.php to generate hostnames (like blaha<ip in hex>.domain.net
for the IPs that are being given out by dhcpd. Something like this would
probably be real easy to make services_dhcp.php create in the proper range,
but I'm a little scared I'd might destroy things if I'd try. Also, something
useful when speaking of DHCP would also be a "hostname" field for the static
DHCP mappings, that would also be added to /etc/hosts (and maybe even passed
on to the client!). IP:s without reverse lookups really don't look good
anywhere, and I believe it's even breaking some rfc.

It's my *cough* birthday in two days and this feature would make a great
birthday present! *g*

Cheers,

Thomas Hertz