[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian Buys" <bbuys at tritel dot com>
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrg_Schneider?= <Juerg dot Schneider at fabrimex dot ch>, "M0n0wall \(E-Mail\)" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] newbie DMZ question **success**
 Date:  Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:14:35 -0600
OK, I think I have this working properly!  I have to get my test server
configured with some additional services before I know for sure, but I was
successful using http as my test service.

Here's how I did it (using Jeanne's subnet #'s for the example):

Take my /28 subnet from ISP, divide it into (2) /29 subnets.

WAN interface = .242/29
WAN gateway = .241

DMZ interface = .249/29
DMZ server = .250/29, with gateway pointing to .249

**Establish firewall rules**
WAN - allow: protocol = tcp   source = any     destination = DMZ server ip

DMZ - allow *.* (for testing only, to make sure I could talk from DMZ to LAN
and DMZ to WAN, this rule will not exist in final cut.

LAN - can access DMZ and WAN by default.

**Additional Settings**
Proxy ARP entry for entire DMZ subnet, using DMZ net ID (i.e.  .248/29)

Server NAT = called the ip address for the DMZ server

Outbound NAT - *enabled* advanced outbound NAT.  As soon as I did this, I
had WAN to DMZ access.  Writing an advanced rule for my LAN gave it WAN and
DMZ access again.

I am still going to do some more tests on this, but plan on writing up a
configuration faq or howto for this once I am satisfied it is working
completely.  Thanks Jurg for the tips on the proxy arp and the server nat!

Brian