[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wondershaper
 Date:  Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:33:50 -0500
On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 04:31, Eric Shorkey wrote:
> Is all of this tough to set up? Not really, but you have to know what you're
> doing first, otherwise you'll end up with a bad configuration and you'll get
> unexpected results.

<snip>

> My suggestion to you, Carlo, is go back to wondershaper. Seriously. I'm not
> trying to be mean, but if you don't already understand how to configure
> iptables or ipfw, and don't understand the concepts behind packet shaping,
> and already have a good understanding of ip routing, then m0n0wall is going
> to be too hard to configure correctly.

... or be patient and wait a week or so for me to release the magic
shaper for m0n0.  While not identical (diffs between Linux and BSD), it
was inspired by wondershaper.  If you know what your upstream and
downstream bandwidth is, it will do the rest for you.  I have a working
beta, but I'm waiting on some other patches to shaper.inc to make it
into the mainstream.  Once that's done, magic shaper goes to Manuel for
his evaluation.
  What does it do?  It sets up a series of pipes/queues/rules to put
high priority on interactive apps such as telnet,ssh, etc; a very low
priority on p2p apps (optional), and everything else (web,ftp,email)
falls in between.

--
Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>