[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Joey Morin <joeymorin at alumni dot uwaterloo dot ca>
 Cc:  Eric Shorkey <eshorkey at commonpointservices dot com>, Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wondershaper
 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:28:47 +0800 (MYT)
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Joey Morin wrote:

>    this is because many connection types (like HTTP) employ a scheme
>    whereby acknowledgement packets (ACK) are returned for each packet or
>    group of packets received.
>
>    so, an HTTP server won't send you the next packet in your huge download
>    until it has received an ACK packet for it's last burst.

err, chaps, that is part of the tcp protocol. all tcp connections follow
that behaviour, be it http, ssh, smtp, pop and stuff. udp is a
connectionless protocol and doesnt. udp examples include dns, RADIUS, and
some p2p networks.

>    upload, or bittorent process) leaves little room for small packets
>    generated by keystrokes in an SSH session, so you see some latency.

the soon to be released magic shaper automagically creates a priority
queue for small packets (length < 40bytes payload) to address interactive
usage such as ssh, telnet et al.