[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark AV - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Wondershaper
 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:59:39 +1000
Hi Adam,

Actually, if you are using a switch, then the LAN interface on the m0n0wall
will ONLY ever see traffic that is directed to it - specifically directed by
IP, and also broadcast.  So it will never see general network traffic.
Also, even were someone still using a hub, it would see this traffic, then
it would be dropped well before the firewall rules/shaping rules get to see
the traffic.

> Conversly the WAN interface should only see traffic to and
> from the WAN (duh, ain't I the brilliant one once again!) And
> thus one would not need to take special care of the LAN
> traffic with the shaper rules on this interface.
>
> But perhaps I'm missing something?

See above.

> One reason I CAN see for using the LAN interface when shaping
> WAN traffic, would be to implement two-pass shaping (seeing
> as multi-pass shaping isn't currently supported), but that is
> another matter entirely.

Yes, this is something I'm seriously considering here.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                        Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Manager,                             Mobile: +61 (0)419 792 394
Quark IT                             http://www.QuarkIT.com.au/
Quark AudioVisual                    http://www.QuarkAV.net/
(Brisbane, Australia)