[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  ListServ <knothead at clarksoncollege dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  wireless project
 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:43:51 -0500
I am new to the the list and just found your disto. I will be building
wireless project in the next several months for a college dorm with 100
users. Have been a heavy user of Ipcop for two years and in need of a
wireless point.

Would people like to share your experience with access points?
I have 6 points to build or buy (Cisco?) and have always preferred the linux
route. More options(!!!!) without shelling out thousand of dollars I guess.

Project:
4 access points for dorms.
2 for the campus itself -- we are very small campus size-->one block.
We are an inter-city small private college.
Access points will be plugged into Cisco 2950 running a separate VLAN.
We have two T-1 lines and will need bandwidth mechanisms.
Are people using some type of radius server and which?
Need some type of auth. Mechanism (assuming RADIUS).
Probably have three types of wireless access accounts.
Guest - minimum auth.
Student - maybe a faster speed, access to specific servers.
Admin - me.

Please bear with me -- it is very early in the project and would love to
build the access points.

Would people like to share you war/horror/success stories about wireless
projects.

Will take criticism, links, case studies and any advice you can offer.

Project will start this coming Jan 05.

Thank you for listening.
RS