[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Solution: config.xml not found
 Date:  Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:25:32 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Dinesh Nair said:

> * FATAL ERROR                                                          *
> * The device that contains the config file (config.xml) could not be   *
> * found. m0n0wall cannot continue booting.                             *
>
> the solution is to go to the BIOS of your box and use CHS sector
> addressing, instead of Auto or LBA addressing. specifying this
> explicitly on your device's BIOS would cure this problem, and allow you
> to use any CF card from any manufacturer.

have you seen this behaviour with actualy ide hard drives in laptops, as
well as with CF cards?  i'm seeing it in my ACER note model PC 350.
shipped with a 3GB drive, now dead.  i've tried a 212MB and a 125MB, they
both give me the above error right after:
	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c

would this not suggest that the fs image in /dev/md0c is corrupt?  i know
that the image i copied to the hd is intact.

i've tried switching off everthing in the bios, and manually setting CHS
instead of using auto.  this did not fix the problem.

do you have any ideas?

jj