[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Joey Morin <joeymorin at alumni dot uwaterloo dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Solution: config.xml not found
 Date:  Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:04:14 +0800 (MYT)
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Joey Morin wrote:

> have you seen this behaviour with actualy ide hard drives in laptops, as
> well as with CF cards?  i'm seeing it in my ACER note model PC 350.
> shipped with a 3GB drive, now dead.  i've tried a 212MB and a 125MB,
> they both give me the above error right after:

i used to see it on old (circa 2.X) freebsd versions, but not on that
since. plus, this has not exhibited itself on the soekris boxen, i saw
that error on a taiwanese sbc i was using then.

> 	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>
> would this not suggest that the fs image in /dev/md0c is corrupt?  i know
> that the image i copied to the hd is intact.

not really. i think the mfsmount is suceeding, as the boot blocks and
bootloader controls that.

it's the manner which m0n0wall checks for an image. it does this by
mounting the disk and checking the existence of /conf/config.xml and if
one is not found or the mount fails (for any reason), then aborts with the
message you've seen. so even if the image itself is fine and not corrupt,
if the bios cant address the disk properly, the mount fails and it aborts.

and since the message is output from within /etc/inc/config.inc of the
m0n0wall scripts, rest assured that your fs image is mounted correctly. :)

> i've tried switching off everthing in the bios, and manually setting CHS
> instead of using auto.  this did not fix the problem.
>
> do you have any ideas?

what's the hardware you're using ?