[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mauricio Taslik" <mauricio at artekshop dot com dot ar>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Dual WAN routing... Not hard at all?
 Date:  Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:12:28 -0300
I love m0n0wall. I've tried several Linux based firewall distros before
and got charmed by the smallness and simplicity of m0n0. Being based on
FreeBSD, one of the most recognized secure OSes,  is an interesting
extra.

I have two conections: one 256 kbits ADSL that changes IP address every
22 hours (something every ADSL provider in Argentina is doing
systematically) and one 512 kbits Cablemodem connection with dynamic IP
address, but in this case you can keep your assigned IP for months since
they have a DHCP cache and unless you disconnect for more than 8 hours.
It naturally follows that it would be QUITE nice to join both data
pipes. I've been reading about it and it's not clear to me why some
people say it's from difficult to impossible even though there are
commercial firewalls selling right now that offer dual and quad WAN
connections.

After searching and searching I've just came through this page that
applies to Linux (I think it would apply to m0n0 as well) and after
reading it (http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html) it
doesn't seem that impossible nor difficult except for the complexity of
frequent change of IP addresses that would require to reconfigure
things.

I'd like to know whether am I wrong or not, and if I am not I'd like to
know whether it would be possible to include dual WAN routing settings
in m0n0.

Thanks for your time.

Mauricio.