[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Martin Holst" <mail at martinh dot dk>
 To:  "Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal VS IAS radius
 Date:  Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:28:22 +0200
Finally got it - as expected it was terribly simple :o(

Sniffing with Ethereal did me no good but telling me that the IAS radius
returned an "Access Reject"
...and reading the IAS log with a log viewer told me almost the same -
although in more details ;o)

Anyway, here it is:

"NAS Port type" is used as a standard Policy condition in IAS.
Windows own policy wizard comes up with suggestions like VPN, Ethernet,
Wireless and more.
Unfortunately m0n0wall does not send NAS port type as an attribute along
with the access request (Thanks Ethereal).
That is:
 - The PPPTP radius client sends port type with access requests.
 - The Captive Portal client does not.

Remove "NAS Port type" under the Policy conditions and everything works
smoothly.

Dinesh: I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Fiddling with the problem brought up and idea:
 - Why not have a single radius client setup page in m0n0wall?
E.g.: Create a service called "Radius client" where you define
parameters as: IP-address, shared secret, encryption etc.

Then you would just need a checkbox like "Use Radius authentication"
under each Radius-supported service - instead of having to define all
the same parameters for each one.(More of these might come in the
future?).

/Martin