[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Martin Bauer <martin underscore bauer at gmx dot at>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] after assigning interfaces - configuration gets lost
 Date:  Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:18:11 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Martin Bauer said:

> Dear list,
>
> I am experiencing troubles with assigning the correct network cards to
> the interfaces.
>
> I am using the CDROM version 1.0 of m0n0wall.
>
> I can assign the network adapter names to the correct interfaces when I
> boot for the first time. BUT: after reboot all changes are gone. It
> seams as if m0n0wall did not save the new configuration.

maybe you're...

> Just to avoid misunderstandings: I am not using a write protected
> floppy;

ah.  have you stuck the floppy into another machine to see if the
timestamp on config.xml has changed?  that is, is the config actually
being updated, perhaps implying a problem internal to m0n0wall software
vis-a-vis interface assignment (heaven forbid), or is the config file
remaining unchanged after a reboot, implying perhaps a problem with
hardware (floppy controller, drive, cable, or the floppy itself..)

do other config items survive a reboot?  like the LAN IP, hostname,
etc...?

> I read something about problems with PNP configuration in context with
> this problem (even I am not sure that it is really the same).
>
> If this problem is in context with PNP could some one please give me a
> detailed advice how I can correct it. I am not a BIOS Expert at all ;).
>
> In my BIOS I can assign lots of irq; I also found an option called "PNP
> OS [yes, no]".

it doesn't sound to me to be a bios problem at all.  freebsd does it's
own detection of hardware during boot anyway, and the interface
assignments are completely manual.  what's in the config is what is used
until you change it on the console menu.

you could edit the config.xml on another box (even a windows box), and
assign the interfaces that way.  you could confirm, at least, whether or
not the config file is being reset with factory defaults.  just look for
these lines, and replace the interface names with your own:

	<interfaces>
		<lan>
			<if>ex1</if>
			<ipaddr>192.168.1.1</ipaddr>