[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  pcnet <gmuntean at pcnet dot ro>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] palm serial config
 Date:  Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:52:49 -0500
pcnet wrote:

>is it possible to config the m0n0wall with a palm 3 on the serial interface?
>and if yes how?
>thanks in advance!
>Grigore Muntean.

Absolutely.  Not only is it possible, I recommend it.  It's a lot easier
connecting a handheld device to a Soekris box (I am assuming your are
intending to connect to a Soekris? not everyone is running MW on a
Soekris...) than it is another machine, even a laptop.  Router jocks do
this sort of thing all the time.  Very convenient.

I believe when I used to do this sort of thing, I used a Palm OS program
called "VT100" (which provides VT100 terminal emulation).  If you go to
Tucows and search for "terminal emulator" for PalmOS, you'll come up
with a whole list of them.  "VT100" had one of the higher ratings:

http://search.tucows.com/search?search=terminal+emulators&platform_id=28&language_id=1&type=exactany&site_detail_id=15&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fpda.tucows.com%2F

Also, you'll need a null modem cable or adapter to hook to the end of
your Palm serial cable, if I'm not mistaken.  I also have an older Palm
serial cable that should fit your Palm III that I'll sell you if you are
interested.  Just let me know.  This is a very fun way to attach to
network devices like MW on Soekris...

chris
-----
Chris Olive