[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, M0n0Wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] palm serial config (edging toward OT)
 Date:  Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:40:20 -0500
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

> [...]
does it need the docking station?

 >How much would you want for the cable?

The only difference between the docking station and the serial cable is
just the molding on the docking station to allow the Palm to sit in the
dock.  The cables are identical.  (If you look at the back and
underneath of the docking station, you'll see what I mean.)  So you can
use a "docking station" serial cable or the "straight" serial cable,
either one.  For the early Palm models up to the Palm III, there was a
straight serial cable, so one end goes into your Palm and the other end
presents a standard 9-pin female (if I recall correctly) serial.  Very
nifty for these sorts of things.  Lately, with the advent of USB, it's a
little more difficult to find the true serial cables, though they are
around even for later Palm-compatible models.  I haven't shopped for a
straight-no-docking-station variety in a while, so I'm not sure how
difficult they are to find.  I do have a straight cable for my Visor
(same connector as a Palm V, BTW), but it's USB which doesn't help on a
9-pin serial connection w/o an adapter.

If you can get the serial with a null modem adapter (at Radio Shack),
then this is a very straight forward connection to just about any serial
device (9-pin) on many networking applicances (not just the Soekris).
No router jockey should be without one in my opinion.  On consulting
assignments, it made me so fast on my feet and my clients *did* take notice.

I'll have to check to make sure I really do have that cable around, and
if I do, I'll get back to you on a price off-line.  They were once no
more than $20-$30, if memory serves, so I'd of course come quite under that.

chris
-----
Chris Olive
chris at technologEase dot com